Monday, March 7, 2011

Quick movie based thoughts

"The reserve of modern assertions is sometimes pushed to extremes, in which the fear of being contradicted leads the writer to strip himself of all sense and meaning."


--Winston Churchill



  • Even though this year's list of Oscar nominees was easily the best group since 1994 and I was very excited for the hosts they chose. The Oscars ended but being a total snore. It was pretty obvious who the winners were going to be and I cannot say that I disagreed with any of them. It was nice to see the internal nepotism that has plagued the Oscars the past five years was done away with this year, giving the awards to the most deserving people, especially Colin Firth who was totally screwed over last year by the Academy feeling sorry for Jeff Bridges. I don't care what anyone says, Crazyheart sucked major donkey balls of a Texas sized proportion.



  • My one complaint about the Oscars: why wasn't Daft Punk nominated for best original score? They were the only good thing about Tron. Perhaps my dear friend over at This Song Starts a Craze can shed some light on this one.



  • I have been watching a lot of Science Fiction type things recently. Go figure right? In doing so, I have come to the conclusion that Isaac Asimov's Laws of Robotics absolutely fail when programmed machines somehow evolve and gain sentience. For those of you who are not nearly nerdy enough to know Asmiov's Three Laws of Robotics they are:


  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

  2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

It all boils down to not destroying the creator and so a lot of these robotic evolutionary movies are breaking Asimov's laws because they hate Asimov and he has no idea what translates into good cinema *cough, cough* I, Robot. Or Asimov is simply wrong and narrow minded about robotic evolution (I cannot believe I just said that). Perhaps he did not realize how religiously based his laws were. I don't know there is a lot to ramble on here. The one thing I do know for sure is that I have been watching far too much Battlestar Galactica.



  • Finally, Korean cinema is probably the most underrated foreign film genre that I have seen so far. In the most hipster of terms, Korean cinema is the new Bollywood, since Bollywood has sold out and gone the way of Hong Kong cinema, or is on the verge of doing so anyway. Nothing against Bollywood or Hong Kong Cinema there are some great movies that have come out of both regions, but Korea seems to be the next untapped film region, and I really hope it doesn't get spoiled by Hollywood like Japan and Sweden have. I will never forgive the fact that someone green lighted American remakes of Let the Right One In (AND decided to call it LET ME IN?!?!?!?!?) or Ringu.

I think I might be back for real this time. Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment