Sunday, September 26, 2010

Get on the Oscar hype bus

I don't often do this. But I am very excited for this years Oscars already for the mere fact that there are two astonishingly great looking movies coming out that will most certainly garner a lot of "best picture," "best actor/actress," and "best supporting actor/actress" attention. But also show that despite all the hype that has come out for Social Network, the so-called modern Citizen Kane, it will fall by the wayside in favor of two very interesting and artistic films.

The first being The King's Speech, starring Colin Firth as King George VI, Helena Bonham Carter as Queen Elizabeth II, and Geoffrey Rush as Lionel Logue. It follows the story of George VI as he battles with his stammer and his public image during the advent of WWII. From the trailer it looks to be one of the most put together casts and the trailer really shows how well they fed off each other I cannot wait for this film to come out! It will be interesting to see how they show the interactions between George VI and Winston Churchill, one man considered to be one of the best orators in history and another who suffered from speech impediment. The juxtaposition in the film I think is what really excites me most about this film. But I also hope that this will make up for the disgrace of the Academy choosing Jeff Bridges over Colin Firth for best actor last year.

Secondly, is a movie of a much different pace and style. A film from a director who is really beginning to show that he is a Hollywood force and not just an Indie darling...finally. This film is Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan. A film which made me jump the second I saw the first pictures. A film that I waited at my computer like so many did for Lady Gaga's Alessandro music video. Yes, I am nerd. Yes, I am okay with it. This also sports a wonderful cast, of people that I feel are often overlooked for their ability--excluding of course Natalie Portman. But the supporting cast looks dynamite and behind the expert eye of Aronofsky this film should be one that does not disappoint. It looks like Aronofsky will achieve something the Coen brothers could not do a few years back getting all the attention in the world from No Country for Old Men then quickly delivering the disturbingly bad Burn After Reading. Aronofsky's return to the screen following the incredibly successful The Wrestler, should not disappoint and I encourage all to see both films.

My hat is in the ring for both of these films, even though I expect the Academy to disappoint me yet again.

Also as a side note I would like to mention that I will not be surprised to see Winnebago Man get an Oscar nod for best documentary and though it was a very basic film, it did justice to and for a cult following and truly deserves a nomination, if only for the fact that it will pioneer a new type of independent documentary style in the coming years. At least I certainly hope it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment