Saturday, May 23, 2009

"Hold Onto Your Butts"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying."
-- Woody Allen

So this is my movie blog. I decided to start this blog after several people have come to me for advice when choosing movies to watch. My main hope is to have this blog give people better awareness of the film industry from someone who is obsessed with movies but is still very much an industry outsider.

I love movies; it is second only to baseball as a passion of mine. My ideal heaven would be one where you could watch any movie and play baseball to your hearts content, and when you are finished sit back to a nice meal and an Anchor Steam or Guinness. They don’t call me a nerd for no reason, but I digress. My own personal collection of movies is somewhere upwards of 200 DVDs and a few remaining VHS tapes that still work. All the same I am constantly watching movies and the only reason my collection is not even bigger than 200 is because I had a netflix account for quite a while, which is great and all but it lacks when you want to watch tons of bonus features. So your first lesson of this blog is when there is a two disc, special edition, do not get it from netflix, go somewhere else because when the back of the box says there is a lot of great material not seen before 8 out 10 times they are not lying.

Anywho…a little about my movie tastes I suppose, so I don’t look like I am completely talking out of my ass. Currently my top five directors are Stanley Kubrick (Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove), Akira Kurosawa (Seven Samurai, Ran), Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire), David Fincher (Fight Club, Se7en) and David Cronenberg (Eastern Promises, Scanners). I recommend any of those directors to anyone. My top movies currently look like this:

1. Star Wars- Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
2. Jurassic Park
3. Seven Samurai
4. Watchmen
5. High Fidelity

Honorable Mentions go to: The Thin Red Line, Slumdog Millionaire, Amelie and The Fall

The intent of this blog is to provide a place where you can get reviews of movies that have been in existence for a long time as well as new releases. I also will supply you with fun and interesting trivia and movie news. Of course, I will recommend a movie each week for those who are cinematically challenged…because we can get though that together.

But why is all of this so important? I dunno have you ever been to a trivia competition and not been able to keep up with everyone? Or what about those long late night discussions that always lead back to movies for some reason, now you will be able to throw your hat in the ring and maybe pwn a few n00bz in the process. I hope after a few weeks of reading this no trivial pursuit game will seem as daunting, no conversation seem as boring, and no director seem as bad as Uwe Boll…without good reason. “Hold onto your butts,” and welcome to Aeschylus and the Missing Reel.

No comments:

Post a Comment